Today is Treat Yourself Tuesday hosted by the lovely Becky at Olives N Wine! I really wanted to recap all the delicious food that I ate in DC but honestly I just wasn’t feeling it yet…. To tired
Instead I have an AMAZING Fourth of July inspired pie for you all! That still counts as a treat right! Even better….. a HEALTHY treat
I was inspired to make a delicious single serve berry pie by Fit Foodie Finds single serve e-cookbook and by the multiple pounds of strawberries that I just picked!!
- For the Crust:
- 4 tbsp Almond Flour/Meal
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tbsp Dark Chocolate Chips
- For the Filling:
- ½ cup Whole Strawberries
- ¼ cup Blueberries
- 1 tbsp Coconut Sugar
- ¼ tsp Arrow Root*
- For the Whip Cream:
- ¼ cup Coconut Milk**
- 1 tbsp Coconut Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 Degrees and grease a single serve pie pan or ramekin.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together the almond flour, coconut oil and maple syrup.
- Press the crust into the greased dish and slightly up the edges.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 8 minutes.
- When the crust is browned take it out of the oven and immediately place the chocolate chips into the crust and cover for a few minutes.
- When the chocolate chips are melted, spread the chocolate to cover the crust.
- Place into the freezer until the chocolate has melted.
- While the chocolate is hardening place a small pot over medium heat.
- Place the strawberries, blueberries, coconut sugar and arrow root into the pan and mix together.
- Use a wooden spoon, whisk or potato masher to mash up the berries so they look like jam.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, let boil for 5 minutes, mixing occasionally.
- Once the mixture has boiled for 5 minutes pour it into the pie crust.
- Place the pie in the fridge for a couple hours so it can set.
- When you are ready to eat the pie make the whip cream.
- Simply mix on high speed the coconut milk, coconut sugar and vanilla extract. It is ready when stiff peaks form.
- Put the cream on your pie and ENJOY!
**Make sure you buy full fat coconut milk. Only use the thick white part of the milk, save the clear liquid for smoothies or another recipe. You can also use coconut cream.
This recipe is super easy and really delicious! I came up with my trick of placing a chocolate shell on the crust in order to keep the crust from becoming soggy. This pie will last in the fridge for a few days and you won’t have to worry about the crust getting soggy. It should stay nice and crunchy
Another trick that I learned was how to tell when the filling is complete.
When you can swipe your finger across the spoon and the finger line stays that means your filling is ready!!!
I love making pies…. especially healthy ones! I really hope you guys make this delicious pie, maybe for the 4th of July!!
Whats your favorite type of pie? Honestly…. my favorite kind of pie is french silk! I love my chocolate!